Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What a "Wonderful" day!

Today was a BIG day for Wonderful Works! I had an informal meeting with Bob Foust, who is the head of the Alabama Coalition for Life. I was put in contact with him through Laurie Stroud, publisher of Birmingham Christian Family Magazine. And no, I am not name dropping to make you think I am somehow important. Laurie is an amazing woman, who was kind enough to feature our family in last years Christmas edition of BCFM. We have kept in contact with her through our adoption process. She would periodically send e-mails asking how we were doing, saying that we had been on her mind. I think the picture of Sasha got to her :) She contacted us again recently and asked if she could feature our family again, now that we were home. Of course we said yes, and I shamelessly asked if I could plug Wonderful Works. She said it could be done and asked me to call her. She put me in touch with Bob who requested a meeting with me. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't have anything to show for this ministry except a website, a video, and a vision. I wasn't sure if he was going to say, "nice idea. Good luck with it," pat me on the back and then take off, or what. Here is what actually did happen:

We chatted informally for about an hour. We talked about how we ended up where we were in life, he asked how I came to Christ, told me of his passion not just for the unborn children of this world, but for their mothers who so desperately need Christ, and then he laid it out for me. Turns out Wonderful Works is a ministry idea much bigger than I anticipated. He sees the need. He loves the idea. He asked me if we were a certified non-profit. I said no, that I didn't really see the need to go that route because I didn't see a big need for funding. His response, "believe me, I am Mr. Shoestring. But you are going to need funding! This thing is going to get away from you quick." He advised me to compile a board. A board?!?!?!?!?  I was just talking about handing out some pamphlets and sharing some coffee with a few ladies!!!  We are praying through some possibilities right now for how we will be sustainable as a non-profit. And he asked me to come and speak at a banquet being held next month for the Sav-a-Life centers of Alabama. I will be sharing our story and introducing our ministry as a resource for Sav-a-Life to use.

Hello volunteers, where are you?????

Anyone know of an attorney and/or accountant who would be willing to do some pro/bono work? Apparently becoming a non-profit takes money and professionals.
Also, really need someone who can create blog buttons for our website and/or a logo. I have the idea in my head, just need someone to bring it to life.

Okay, here are some pictures I have been dying to share. They are a little out of place in this post, but this is the mess that I am :)


This is Ana's pop-princess look

First time at the beach










At this point Ana was done!

This is their train




No comments: