Thursday, September 23, 2010

OUR Sasha!


If you are reading this, sit back relax and make sure you have some time. Here is the loooooooong version of what God is doing in our lives and in the life of Sasha.

Earlier this year (spring 2010) my sister-in-law told me about her friends who were adopting a little boy from Eastern Europe (Sasha). It was through their adoption experience that I was led to two blogs that have touched me and changed who I am (links below).


As I began a faith journey, my heart really began to long to help orphans. I knew that God would show me what to do. As many of you know, our house has been for sale way too long. We have continually said that it would sell according to God's timeline. I began to have a feeling that we were waiting for something. I told Gary one day, "I think we are waiting for a child".

July: Sara (sister-in-law) calls me to tell me that her friends had to back out of their adoption because of a cancer diagnosis. After much prayer and discussion, Gary and I decide to begin the adoption process for Sasha. Before we could schedule a homestudy, Sara's friends decide they want to try the adoption anyway. At this point I want everyone to know that I was hoping things would work out for them. I CANNOT imagine having to give up a child, especially a child who so desperately needs help. So, we decided to move on and begin the adoption process through Alabama DHR (APAC).

About halfway through our adoption process (August), I received a call from Sara. Sasha's family had to back out again once they fully realized the severity of the cancer. Gary and I talked about it, but were at odds. We decided to pray for Sasha and advocate for him, but continue on our path. 

One morning while praying with Trey, we prayed for Sasha. I explained that he needed a family to take him in and love him. Trey mumbled something that I failed to hear. I asked him to tell me what he said. "It's a secret," was his response. He sat in my lap and whispered in my ear, "we'll be his family". Yes, tears streamed down my face at that moment. All I could think was how we are supposed to come to the LORD as children. We are supposed to have unfailing faith and not overcomplicate things. The reality was simple: Sasha needed a family and we were a family looking to adopt. I began to pray feverishly that Gary and I would come to the same conclusion.

We did! We e-mailed many people trying to get information about Sasha and about the process. We have had tremendous resources, and are praising God for His unfailing love, His revelation of Himself in this process and His faithfulness. 

We love Sasha and cannot wait to bring him home to meet his family...you!

6 comments:

Carissa said...

I want to tell you how HAPPY and RELIEVED I am to hear that Sasha has a family. You see, my husband and I were prayerfully considering Sasha for our own. My husband has been very reluctant to agree to adoption, especially special needs adoption and especially DS. He fell in love with Sasha and said yes to me on Sept 1. But God knew both His will for Sasha and your family, and for us. That very same day I got another surprise--I am pregnant with our 4th!

For the next two weeks I struggled with the time line of Ukraine's closings and Sasha's own timeline and that of our pregnancy. It would take an act of God to get the dossier done before Nov 1, so we could travel this winter before I was too far along to travel. I struggled with the feeling of giving up on Sasha. Little did I know the bigness of God's plans!!

When I asked Andrea for more advice she told me that there were other families considering him. Just a few days later, she told me that a family had committed to him and I felt this HUGE sense of peace and relief. I knew he was safe.

So, I will be in prayer for you and your family as you go get this little boy that so many love. I will help advocate for your family and, once I get my etsy shop completely up and running, you can be sure he will be the first I feature for fundraising (RR is the whole reason for my etsy shop!)

Thank you for rescuing this little guy! It means more to me than you could ever know. :)

Lindsay said...

Carissa, thank you for sharing!!! This has touched my heart, brought tears to my eyes, and made me even more sure of our commitment (although God has not left room for doubt anyway :). We are so grateful that God is sending us resources that we could have never found on our own. Your story is one of several that I have heard in regards to Sasha. We know that God is always with us, but there is NO doubt that he is orchestrating everything that is happening right now. I can't wait until we can tell Sasha just how special he is, and share his story with so many others to advance the gospel and spread a message of hope and love.

Unknown said...

I am so happy you chose Sasha. He looks like an amazing little boy and it sounds like he will have an amazing family. I cannot wait to follow his/your story. I would have loved to bring Sasha home but now is not the time for us. Im so happy he will have a loving family. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Crystal said...

I am very very happy that Sasha has a family. My husband and i are adopting a child from RR too, from the same orphanage. I felt very drawn to Sasha too, and wanted to bring him home also, but we weren't sure about adopting two children at the same time, we have 2 little ones, also. So, I have just been praying and praying for him to find a family, because I knew I could not go pick up our little girl and leave Sasha.

I think it is wonderful that your little boy had such huge faith. Thank you Jesus.

I can't find your email, could you please email me, I would love to talk to you. Mine is finecrystal@knology.net

kiwicpk said...

yeah you guys,,,, way to go!

Pam said...

So glad you are adopting Sasha! I heard from another blog that he lost his family -- so glad God called you to save him!