Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Obedience

In the past few weeks, I have heard a lot of things from a lot of people. These things range from, "I don't think you understand the impact this is going to have on your family" (true) to "Wow, you guys are amazing. I am so blessed to know you" (not true). Please, don't take this personally if you are one of the above (if you made either comment, you are not the only one), but both of those things make me cringe a little on the inside. The first just makes me want to scream, "really, don't you think that we KNOW that we DON'T KNOW what we are getting into?" But then I might sound crazy :) The second comment sort of makes me sick to my stomach. Many of you know that I read Katie Davis' blog, and that I think she is amazing, but it dawned on me one day that she is just a normal person being obedient to God and allowing Him to use her (don't stone me Katie followers :)

Here is the truth. I am scared as all get out to adopt Sasha. BUT I also have peace about the decision. The truth is that we are not amazing people. We are average, everyday, ordinary people. We are slaves by choice. And the God we serve is capable of all things. It is clear to me that Sasha is meant to be a part of our family. The decision to adopt him was not a quick decision without any forethought. But it was an decision to be obedient. 

Here is the bottom line: 
My sweet friend told me the other day, "Lindsay, you can NOT do this. But God can, and that is how He will be glorified." (I know, she's smart isn't she?) My honest prayer is that people will see our actions, but not see us. They will perceive us as mere instruments being used by the LORD. I know that God is asking us to do this, and I cannot stand before Him one day and pretend I had no idea. 

If you want to help us, pray. Pray that God would get ALL of the glory. Pray that our marriage would withstand all of Hell as it is thrown at us, and that our family will emerge strong and grounded in the Word of God.

5 comments:

The Sanchez Family said...

PRAYING for you! And for your precious Sasha!

Crystal said...

That is EXACTLY how I feel. Wow, can I just copy and paste this :)
I'm just kidding, but I know what you mean.

jessie said...

"Slaves by Choice" I love that! I have been praying for you all, I will keep doing so.

Michelle said...

Great post! We aren't even to the point where we can adopt right this minute (hopefully in the near future) but when we tell people our plans, they think we're nuts. I tell them I don't think God is ever going to question why I adopted, but if I don't, He's going to ask me why I didn't do what He told me to!

Adrienne said...

Hello there. I found your blog from someone else's, but I can't remember whose. Anyway, we adopted an older child (5 years) with special needs (vision issues) in July of 2009. We travelled with 18 other families - all adopting kids with special needs including profound deafness, cleft lip and palate, tumors around the spinal cord, hepatits, heart and lung issues, all kinds of other things. I was struck by how very ordinary we all were, yet doing the extraordinary, travelling half way around the world to pick up kids that all had known medical issues. We were obedient to the call and the rewards have been amazing.

This summer, we had a reunion. I wish everyone could see how completely loved and joyful all of these adopted kids are. They are healthy and safe and very, very happy. Running, smiling, laughing - just like regular kids.

Sasha will be too. It's amazing what a loving family, consistent nurturing and good medical care can do. You will have front row seats to witness a miracle.

Stay the course. Ignore the naysayers. There are no guarantees with kids, but your boy is special, and he will blossom in your family.

Love and prayers, Adrienne