Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trey: The Idea Man

 I started this blog years ago, and it was all about Trey. Then Luke came along, and Trey had to share space on the blog with pictures and stories about Luke. And now, it appears Sasha and Ana have hijacked some (okay most) space too. Everything is new with them, and we are navigating our way through unfamiliar territory, which is why they are claiming so much of my blog posting space right now. But, every day I get to see what makes each of my kids unique and special, and I wanted to give them all their very own post. I have decided that my kids can form their own team when they get older. I don't know what they will do, but I know they will be successful, because they compliment each other so well.

So, first up...Trey: The Idea Man

Here is a story that really illustrates who Trey is. We have gone to a new system for snacks in our house. Trey and Luke each get snack money every morning. They can buy snacks throughout the day with just a few rules. Junk food is more expensive than healthy foods, and fruits and veggies are free. As we were making the money Trey said, "mom, I have an idea. If something cost too much money we could give you stickers and they could be coupons". I had to laugh before I shot his idea down.

Now I thought that it would take him a few days of spending all his money on junk in the first half of the day to figure out how to save his money up and spend it wisely throughout the day. NOPE! Day 1 he had only spent $1 (on yogurt) by dinner (he gets $10/day). He snacked all day on fruits and veggies, because as he told me, "I'm trying to save up my money for snacks later."

The picture below is of Trey "carpet skating" with books.  He likes to go roller skating (something he did with school last year), but we have not been able to take him for dollar skate night in a looooooong time. He has been asking about it, but instead of complaining that we couldn't go he decided to take it into his own hands. He came out of his room like this, and said, "look mom. I figured out how I can go skating".



Trey has always been this way, so it is not some 5 year old phase. I could keep a book of all of his "ideas". He has turned my couch cushions into a full airport, a ride-on toy into a tow-truck, built a "bunk-bed" with his imagination, and he throws a birthday party every week for someone (usually a stuffed animal) complete with decorations, presents, and cake (all made from paper). The list is endless, and so are the smiles he brings in our home.


This is when Trey was 2. He decided he needed a "helmet" and gloves to ride his bike. He thought a winter hat was a good idea...in JULY!!!!
An early creation...an airplane. Trey wanted to be a pilot for 3 solid years.
Walked in my bedroom one day to find this. It's the inside of a garbage truck (the pillows are the trash bags).

Playing Croc store (an original Trey game) in the bathtub.

Tow truck.
About Trey:
Age: 5
Favorite Color: Orange
Phrase he says most often: "I have an idea..."
Favorite snack: potato chips or candy
Favorite play-time activity: imaginative play 
Reason he makes us SO proud: He really loves people. He loves his siblings without exception, and he is constantly thinking about how he can help others.

Teaching little brother and little sister how to paint
Sleepover fun!
Trey, we love you and are incredibly blessed to have you for a son!

~Dad and Mom

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I love Trey's imagination that is great. And the airplane picture looks just like Malika's car, she does this just about everyday, she will get all the pillows out just like Trey did on our couch and pretend she is driving a car. That is so funny how much alike they are, except Trey has way more imagination.

Good idea about the snack money, it will teach them about money, I will definitely have to save that for when ours are older.