Saturday, November 10, 2012

Flag Football

In my life anymore there is no such thing as "all caught up". It's just the way it is, and I'm okay with it. As you read the majority of my future posts you will just have to be understanding of the fact that they are probably long overdue; like this post that should have been written and published about a month ago.

When Trey was 3, we thought it would be fun to sign him up for Sunday soccer. Boy were we wrong! Trey hated it. After that incident we decided that we would just let our kids ask us to be involved in things and we wouldn't waste our time or money pushing them into things they didn't want to do. This year Trey begged to play a sport. We laid out his choices and he decided on NFL Flag Football. His team had 7 kids on it and they played their games 5 on 5. They were originally slated to be the Green Bay Packers, but due to some NFL equipment/shipping glitch they ended up being the Redskins, and Gary was the coach.

I am so glad we waited for Trey to decide on his own to play, because he had so much more motivation  for the season. He loved all of it! For one game they even got to play in the big stadium in our city (on a real football field!). Trey's last 2 games were double headers, and it was pouring down rain. Despite the  cold, the rain, and playing for twice as long Trey never complained. In fact, he scored 2 touchdowns as the running back in the last game. He never asked to come out of a game one time. He practiced so hard during the week working on his three-step drop, running fake hand-offs with Gary, and practicing pulling flags. He became a different kid once on the football field. He always played fair, but he was also aggressive (much more so than I anticipated). We are very proud of his quiet leadership: working hard, never complaining, and continuing to be optimistic even after several losses.

Practice before a scrimmage. Trey is waiting in line to complete a drill.



"Redskins on 3"

We were treated to a special visit from the Barki family just in time for Trey's first game. Trey and Brandon were first best friends. We are so glad they could come!

Trey's turn at QB. With only 7 players, every kid got a lot of playing time and several chances at each position.

Playing around while we watch the game 

My little Maya! Back when I thought I would never have any girls I considered Maya my adopted daughter. Isn't she so adorable?!?!?!?

Soaking up the sunshine while we can

I also have several video clips from Flag Football, and if I ever get around to it I will post them one day as well (although maybe you shouldn't count on it).  I always seemed to miss getting the videos of Trey's big plays, so don't be too distraught if it never happens :)

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Trey is growing up so fast.

I love the last picture of you with Ana.

The Dodds said...

oh my goodness! Ana is so beautiful! I miss y'all so much!