Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Random things that amuse me

Trey and Luke like to pretend that some of the kids in our neighborhood are "bad guys". As the kids ride by on bikes Trey and Luke scheme to trap them or put them in jail. Of course they never actually do any of these things. It's just a fun time for my boys to utilize some of that brotherly teamwork. One day they were talking about trapping some kids. They were going to ride after them on their bikes and get them. They were planning all of this during the school day when no kids were actually around. While they waited for school to be out and some kids to come by they asked if they could wash their bikes.

Luke: "Yeah, then we will have really clean bikes to get them with. And they will say, 'you have nice bikes'".
Trey: "Yeah, and then one of us can trap them while the other one says thank you".

I laughed so hard thinking how nice it is to know that even when my boys are plotting and scheming to "trap" people at least they are still using their manners :)

***

On my birthday my sister called. Trey answered my phone and my sister asked him if there was anything special about today. "Yes. Two things," he replied. "I taught myself how to ride my bike without training wheels, and I made a solar system". Isn't it funny how in a child's mind everything revolves around them?

My mom also called to wish me happy birthday and Luke talked to her first. While on the phone with her he asked me, "is it your birthday?". I told him it was and the next two questions were, "how many presents are there," and "why aren't we eating anything?" (as in cake).

***
Trey is at the age where he reads everything! As we were brushing teeth one night he pointed at a bottle of lotion on the counter and said, "Wow, now that's something you don't see everyday". Failing to see anything interesting about the lotion I asked him what he was referring to. He pointed near the bottom of the bottle and read, "Made in the USA". 

Ok, while that may be funny. It's also sad to think that my 6 year old knows that everything is "made in China".

***

One day I yelled at Ana for doing something she was not supposed to, or maybe for something she should be doing and wasn't (at this point in time I forget the details). Trey asked me how I knew what Ana was (or was not) doing when I wasn't even looking. I told him that I had eyes in the back of my head. I explained that all moms do. He said he couldn't see them. I jokingly told him it was because my hair was covering them up. 

Fast forward a week and a half.

I am sitting in the rocking chair in the evening watching TV and Trey jumps up behind me and yells, "BOO!". The next thing he says is, "you know why I could scare you? Because your eyes are against the rocking chair, so you couldn't see me sneak up". Poor kid really thinks I have eyes in the back of my head :)

***

A sweet sister in Christ gave me some roses. Trey looked at them and instead of telling me they were pretty or asking to smell them (or some other juvenile thing ;) instead asked, "are those dicots? Because I think they are". "Well, why don't you tell me," I responded. After carefully examining the leaves Trey asserted that they were in fact dicots. And he is right. 

For those who are all confused by this don't feel bad. I would be too if I wasn't learning right along with Trey. We are currently studying angiosperms (flowering plants) in botany. We are learning to tell the difference between monocots and dicots (this refers to the seeds of a plant and whether they have one or two cotelydons) by looking at their leaves and/or petals. Pretty soon I'll be able to go on Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader :) 






2 comments:

The Davis Family said...

Oh man, I miss you guys! And way to go on homeschooling! Anna misses Trey so much. She told me today how much she loves him and how he's such a great friend. We might have to come visit before Selah is born.

carlyn said...

miss you! such sweet post. i love your precious family :) can't wait to "meet" Selah!