Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The cost of being "in a minute" mom

Dinner to plan and prepare, breakfast dishes to wash, lunch crumbs to be swept, bills to pay, doctors appointments to schedule, a grocery list to write, reading lessons to start, math, science, geography, and Bible lessons that require more planning, more messes, more stress, and more TIME. This is a partial list of what my day entails. And in-between each of these tasks I am prodded at by my children in turn. "Mommy, watch what I can do." "Mom, want to see my football game?" "Mommy will you play trucks with me?" Sasha grabs at my legs to be picked up. Ana wants to help me cook. If I sit down for even a second, somebody wants to climb in my lap.  My response is usually a mechanical, "in a minute," with the recognition that "a minute" is never really just 60 seconds, and most times it never even passes.

But one day, I started adding up the cost of being "in a minute" mom. I have missed countless football games, music performances, and doctors visits (all occurring regularly in my living room). I have been absent for Lightening McQueen's big race, Buzz Lightyear's battle to rescue Woody, and even the weekly garbage pick-up (all which also took place in my very own living room).

I know I can't always say "yes," and I can't always drop everything for what my kids want right now. I know that it is good to teach them patience and how to play independently. But, I also know that sweeping the floor can wait while I read a book to Luke, play babies with Ana, tickle Sasha, and watch Trey beat LSU.

After all, I wouldn't want to miss any more songs created just for me like the "chocolate train ride song" below :)


1 comment:

Barki's said...

AWESOME!! i so wish brandon and trey could play football together