Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The tooth fairy saga

While at the park one day swinging on the swings Trey says, "mom, I don't think the tooth fairy is real". He must have been thinking about his 3rd loose tooth.
"Why not?" I asked.
"Well, I know that cartoons aren't real, and I saw the tooth fairy on a cartoon once. Plus, I just think it has to be somebody."
"Oh. Who do you think it is?"
"I don't know, but when this tooth falls out I'm going to stay awake and find out."

***

A few weeks later Trey's tooth was barely hanging on. He was too nervous to let anyone pull it, but one night well past his bedtime he was finally convinced that maybe we could try. At first he said no and cried. Gary offered to pay him $2 if he would let us pull it (that's double the tooth fairy's going rate in our house). Trey wanted the money, but couldn't decide if it was worth it. Then Gary offered $3! Trey was still hesitating, so Gary pulled out his wallet and handed Trey the $3 to hold onto while I pulled it out. Trey relented. The tooth came out easily, and we sent him to bed $3 richer. Moments later Trey was in our room asking for his tooth. He wanted it in a baggie so he could put it under his pillow for the tooth fairy. That's my future venture capitalists! Trying to max out his earning potential.  We explained that the money we gave him was in lieu of tooth fairy money, and overtired he almost started crying. I asked why he was so upset, and he said, "I just really want to see the tooth fairy".

We sort of left things there and never really addressed the tooth fairy issue, but as tooth number 4 begins to wiggle I imagine we will have to do so soon.

What would you do?

4 comments:

The Swart Clan said...

We had Roy dress up in this ridiculous fairy costume with wings and a tutu (looked great with his big red beard) and had him "fly in" when all the kids were awake and get the tooth and leave money. It was hilarious for everyone (and I have black mail pictures to boot) and took away the disappointment of the tooth fairy not being real.

Katie said...

This is a hard one. I have 3 kids who know the tooth fairy isn't real but Richard still expects the tooth fairy to come when he loses a tooth. We handle each situation as it occurs. I wouldn't bring it up until he does. If he expects the tooth fairy to come then he needs to put his tooth under his pillow or tooth pillow and let you know.
I am bad I always forget to put money under the pillow. So they all know that it is me.
Trey is such a smart boy and so considerate of others that even if he does find out that the tooth fairy isn't real he won't tell the others. The only thing with him realizing the tooth fairy isn't real is that opens the door about Santa and the Easter Bunny....
Good Luck Honey... Love and miss you.

Lindsay said...

Well, the tooth fairy is actually the only "pretend" thing we do in our house. Christmas does not include Santa and there is no Easter bunny that visits our house. So there really is no worry about those things (which is probably why he figures the tooth fairy must not be real either).

Katie said...

Cool... No worries then. He is a very smart little boy and if he is having doubts don't let him keep having them. Go ahead and tell him. In our house once you stop believing the tooth fairy stops bringing money.