Saturday, September 15, 2012

The bounty of the land

Some of our harvest (minus the box of apples going to make applesauce and the pear cider)

I know that I posted recently about our Sauvie Island Farm U-pick adventure, and I sort of thought we were done for the season. But the land here is just so fertile that it really is a shame not to continue to take advantage of all of the wonderful fresh produce we have here while we can. My birthday is in the fall, and I have so many fond memories of spending it at the apple orchard. So, when Gary started asking me what I might want to do to celebrate I didn't hesitate to say, "go to the apple orchard and pick apples with the kids". This weekend seemed just as good as any to go picking even though most apple varieties aren't quite ready yet. We drove to Mt. Hood and spent some time at Mountain View Orchard picking apples, peaches, pears, and early prunes. We also bought a few things out of the farm store like fresh green beans, cucumbers, and pear cider...yum!

Fresh peaches!
With an apple and free reign these 2 were in heaven



"how's yours?"
piles of apples
Mmmmmmmm
He's growing up so fast!

Helping daddy with the apple picker

The view



No comments: