Tuesday, June 14, 2011

This is what the sovereign LORD says


"This is what the sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds...who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock?...You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost." (Ezekiel 34:2,4)

A month ago we landed back in the United States with our two new precious children. We were tired, and our journey, though it seemed to be over, was just beginning. Truthfully, I broke down at the airport crying continually that I did not ever want to go back. I was exhausted physically and emotionally. During our first few weeks home I had this sense of relief. I was relieved because I felt like, "good, we have done our part..next time I see a face longing for a family and a home, needing proper medical care and balanced nutrition I can be satisfied in knowing that it is not my responsibility". Like I said, I was tired. I still am tired, but now that I can think straight a fire has been reignited in me. I see the faces of the ones left behind. I am burdened for poor Karina who wants somebody to love her...anybody! She was chastised countless times for trying to come with us when we would take Sasha out. She jabbered to us in Ukrainian, smiling all the while and lifting her hands to be held, to be hugged and loved...to be wanted. She even tried cozying up to the gardener one day, so desperate for affection that she would be happy with any scrap of attention she could get. I also think about the children left lying in cribs, needing medical care that they cannot get. They need love. They need hope. They need someone to tell them about Jesus.




How do you walk away from this?

Don't tell me you don't "feel called" to this. Tell Karina. Tell Marsha, Dasha, Sonia, Masha, and the countless other children waiting for someone to come. Waiting for someone whose eyes they can stare into and say, "mama. papa". Tell them that you were too busy with your own life to show them Jesus, so their eternity is in jeopardy because you have other things to do. You are commanded, just like me, to care for widows and orphans. There is no asterisk next to those verses that says, "*this is only for some Christ followers". Don't tell me about Mary and Martha and how it's better to sit at the feet of Jesus and rest in his presence than to do "works". That is a cop out. It is not an either/or issue. This is a both/and issue. I sit at the feet of Jesus every day. It's how I survive. I see Him in the faces of all 4 of my kids. I spend my days with Him AND my family.  Adoption was not something we did because we wanted to earn something. Maybe you don't think God is asking you to adopt, and you might be right. But, have you asked Him? I mean REALLY with your whole entire being asked Him, "God what do you want me to do?" Not the rushed sort of, "God use me for your glory" prayer you pray because you feel like you have to, but the, "God, I desire you more than anything, and I will gladly abandon everything to go where you tell me and do as you say...even if I don't want to" prayer that comes from deep in the pit of you. The one you pray with such love and desire that it pours out of you...unstoppable. 
                                                                                                   

Gary being mauled by kids wanting love and attention


If you have looked at the faces longing for love, searched your heart, and prayed a sincere prayer, and you don't believe that God is asking you to open your home to one of these children, then I would ask you to please consider helping someone else who has been called to this mission.






I have had the privilege of being in contact with Stephanie Barnett, the mommy of sweet Igor, Trenton, and Leeza since the beginning of their journey to their 3 babies. Stephanie has been a faithful woman through their walk and ours. She spent so much time on her knees for us, and I know she is in continued prayer for our family. She and her family have made a choice to be obedient to God, even though the road has not been easy. Stephanie is my "Texas twin," and I love her dearly. I love her for her friendship, her support, her honesty, but most of all for her amazing love and faith in Jesus Christ. 

I have met the three newest Barnett children (in fact, I am cropped out of a lot of the pictures in the video below...thanks, Steph :) and I want to share with you what you can be a part of.

Leeza is left in a crib most of the time. She has peach-fuzz for hair, and at 3 years old is the size of a 12 month old. She smiled at me as I stood near her crib on my way to change Ana's diaper. I told her how beautiful she was, and I prayed that God would help her to understand. To know that she is loved, and that she has a mommy and a daddy who are longing for her.

Trenton is a smart, devilish little boy. He knows what he wants: love in the arms of his mommy and daddy. He escaped from his crib and out of the room several times attempting to run out the door with us. His smile was contagious. He has potential beyond belief. He just needs out.

Igor is a shy but very loving little guy. He stood back from us and smiled, very intrigued by our presence. It took him a few minutes of watching us with the other kids to get up the courage to come and say hello. But when he did, he didn't want to let go. He hugged, waved hi, showed us his toy, and smiled like you can't imagine.

The Barnett family has stood firm in their faith, and their waiting children have stood strong and courageous in the face of trials we cannot even begin to imagine. The Barnett family has approached the end of their paper chase, and they anticipate being submitted in the next few weeks. They have more fundraising to be done for their journey to home, and I am asking you to help them. Igor was supposed to have been transfered to an institution already. The director of the orphanage is holding on because she knows the Barnetts are coming. This family has taken on more than any of us can handle alone. They are relying on the LORD and His hands and feet: you! 

Please click here to bring God's children home to their earthly family.



3 comments:

Mommy Grits said...

We pray more will ask the Lord to open their eyes and hearts to what burdens His heart. It's scary, it's different, its even hard. Every single reason we could use to say we couldnt adopt was selfish - God showed us His heart and we are so thankful He brought us to this place. Thank you Lindsay for continuing to remind us all the need is always, always there...God is calling each and every one to be hands and feet..what that looks like for each person is different - not everyone is supposed to adopt. But we all need to stop and ask what we ARE supposed to be doing. Continuing our journey here in EE...praising God for leading our steps every bit of the way.

Crystal said...

I love your post. As hard as this journey has been and how hard it is now, I would go back. When I actually think about it, I think I must have lost my mind :). But, like you, I can not get the faces and sweet little voices out of my head. In particular I cannot get sweet little Sonia's silent cry out of my head. If she was available for adoption, I would want to go back for her.

Cindy said...

This video is so moving. The children are beautiful...all 5. May God's grace be with you as you go about bringing home the ones who faithfully await you. God Bless