Monday, May 2, 2011

Why?

This large billboard was uprooted and tossed to the ground.

This hotel was reduced to a one story hotel.

This 150 ft. light post (and many more along the freeway) was snapped like a toothpick. The pictures you see were just at the fringe of the damage. We were unable to get pictures of where the major damage happened because the road was closed.

I have asked myself this question so many times over the last few days. Not, "why were there storms," or, "why did they do so much damage". No. I asked, "why did God save us?" I don't have the answer. Our town was destroyed by the tornado that came through. Our firehouse is missing its roof; gas stations, restaurants, and hotels were obliterated; houses were left in piles of rubble, yet somehow our subdivision was untouched. The tornado touched down 1/4 mile from our home and then tore through the town. We lost power for 26 hours, but that was it! It was as if God Himself placed a protective bubble over our community. But, I don't understand why. THere was not so much as a tree down in our neighborhood! I know that we are not worthy people. We are not worthy of our Savior, God's love, or His mercy. But for some reason He has shown it to us. We are devastated for those who lost homes, and more importantly loved ones. My emotions are so incredibly jumbled right now. I am relieved for my family, and saddened for our community and its people (along with all of the others across the South who were hit by this mass of storms), I am also shaken up by how close it came to us. Please pray for the families and the people who were not as fortunate as us. God bless you all!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad you guys are ok. I've been meaning to call you to check on our neighborhood:) We are doing ok too in Tuscaloosa! We had the "protective bubble" over us to. Praise the Lord!

Mel said...

I don't have a real answer for you to that question Lindsay, but I can give you my opinion, take a look at those four sweet little faces that you tuck in each night, in their very own little beds, in a warm, safe home. The little faces that call you "Momma" and know that you are going to keep them safe, and warm, and fed. God has a plan, and as hard as it is to witness, even the storms are a part of it. I am thankful that your community was spared(especially with all of the other things happeneing in your life at the moment! hehe), and continue to pray for those who aren't as lucky, and for you as you help when you are able. Hugs!!