Saturday, December 4, 2010

Eric Ludy - Depraved Indifference


The Reece's Rainbow Yahoo group has been raving about this video. I don't blame them. This is how I feel. Any parent can understand the way that Eric Ludy talks about his son and the lengths he would go to for him. Why do we have such a problem transposing that love and emotion? We struggle with how much God loves us, and how much he loves others. We forget that WE are the body. God cares for his children only through the body of Christ. If we are not doing it, who is?

I viewed this video because of a post by a woman in the group. After looking at the children on the Reece's Rainbow site, her daughter asked her, "if I was in an orphanage in Eastern Europe, would you adopt me?" WOW!!! An innocent question. A difficult answer. 

When I  saw Sasha's face for the first time, I saw my own children. I spent my nights awake, crying, picturing Trey and Luke stuck in a crib feeling so alone and unloved. I knew I could never completely put him out of my mind. I tried to console myself with thoughts like, "It's okay, God knows your heart." And the Spirit would prod me, "but how does that help Sasha?" I wondered if I would ever be able to put him out of my mind. I prayed every day for his family to find him. Someone please step forward, for him and for me. I knew that the only way I could ever return to life as normal was to find him a family. Deep down I knew he was mine, but it would be easier if someone else stepped up. I wanted him. I loved him from the first moment I "met" him, but what if God had something else for me to do and adopting him would interfere with that? The reality that finally hit me was God's truth. We all search for God's calling on our lives. But most of us are just letting the call go to voicemail when it does come. Life is complicated. Your life's calling is simple: "love your neighbor as yourself," "do to others as you would have them do to you". 

If you were in an orphanage, would you want to be adopted?

No comments: