Saturday, June 26, 2010

Perspective

Occasionally, we need reminders in life. We need perspective. Yesterday, I needed and got some good perspective. We decided to go get a family picture taken. As soon as it was our turn to go and sit for our portrait, Trey refused to be photographed. But, he also didn't want the picture taken without him. After begging, pleading, and threatening in front of a substantial audience, we picked up our 2 screaming children and walked out. Trey became enraged because NOW he wanted his picture taken. We put them both in the car crying. Trey was so angry he threw both of his shoes at us, which I kept (for the next week he is without orange crocs). He unbuckled himself 3 times (which earned him back his old "baby" carseat), yelled at us, and threw himself all over the place (I assure you there was some major discipline involved when we got home). I cried when it was over and I had a moment to think. I wondered what I had done wrong as a parent that he was behaving like that. I felt as though we had lost half of a day. 

But, at the end of the night, Gary and I sat down to talk. As we were conversing about other things, Gary briefly mentioned the day we first saw Trey's heartbeat on the ultrasound. Many of you know his story, but for those who don't: Trey was one day away from not being here. I was told he was not a viable pregnancy, I would miscarry, and I should have a D&C. I cancelled my D&C at 4pm on Wednesday - it was scheduled for 7am on Thursday. A week later, there was his little heart beating for us to see on the ultrasound monitor. 

Half a day of discipline is nothing compared to a lifetime without him. When your kids drive you crazy, break your things, break your heart, and make you cry, just keep it all in perspective.

1 comment:

Harris, Katie and Tucker Rhodes said...

THANK YOU!!! I needed it this today. We had a day like you guys and I have felt the same way! You always know what to say!