Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." 
"Lord, if it is you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
"Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"
(Matthew 14:27-31)

Maybe YOU are Peter. I am Peter. I say, "LORD, tell me to come to you." And then I panic at the slightest breeze. My faith fails me and I begin to sink. As I read his words I know what he wants from me: "Come follow me...and I will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19), "let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:16), "freely you have received, freely give." (Matthew 10:8). "Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for your journey, or extra tunic, or sandals, or staff" (Matthew 10:9). I am actually not even as faithful as Peter. I fail to climb out of the boat entirely and feel the cool water on my toes with unfailing faith that I will not drown. Did you know that there are between 147 and 148 million orphans in the world? 148 million little Treys and Lukes without Garys or Lindsays. People are starving to death right now!!!! Dying of diseases that can be cured for less than the cost of a Starbucks coffee!!! Yeah, well what am I supposed to do about it:
"You give them something to eat." (Matt 14:16)
"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons" (Matt 10:8)
"Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matt 28:19-20)

People ask, "if there is a God, why is there so much pain and suffering in the world?" Look in the mirror and ask again. I have, and I am disgusted!!!!! I always thought I was a pretty good person: well then why do I feel so dirty? God commanded the things above, He should be asking us, "I gave you plenty. Why are there starving people? Why are there orphans? Why are there people dying of disease?" I am as guilty as anyone, so don't read this as an accusation against yourself. Read it as an agent of change. I want to give my time, talents, and treasures to find God's lost sheep, and I'm in the process of transforming my life to make it look the way Jesus tells me it should. It won't be an easy journey, and it won't happen overnight, but won't you join me and step on to the water?

No comments: