Monday, October 31, 2011

The verdict on... (a post full of pictures)

...Oregon: I can say for sure that I LOVE the fall here. I am a Michigan autumn girl, and Alabama's falls never compared. The air is crisp, the leaves are beautiful shades of yellow, orange, and red. I love driving down TV highway staring in the face of Mt. Hood...so much so, I'm bound to get into an accident one day, because I fail to keep my eyes on the road. The natural beauty here is amazing, and it is nice to live somewhere where they strive to keep it that way.
I have never lived anywhere that had recycling bins larger than the garbage cans

...Homeschooling: Love/hate. I love having control over what my kids learn and how they learn it. I hate not having a break...ever. I love being able to share in so many learning moments with my kids. I hate being solely responsible for their education (it is a bit daunting). I am not using a curriculum this year. We are sort of winging it. I love the freedom and creativity that comes with this teaching, but I also worry we are missing things.
This was our "goo" day. (hence the shirtless children)






...Adjusting: The adjustment has been better than expected. I came to realize one night that I have been the sole constant in my children's lives lately. Everything has changed...and I mean everything!!!! Considering all of this, they have done remarkably well. I think that it was good for my adoptees. They came to see that no matter what changes, our family remains. Trey and Luke have done well, with the exception of one night. Gary has been in and out for the last month: traveling with his old job, a trip to house hunt, and then gone for 2 weeks of training for his new job. We picked him up from the airport late one night. Trey was awake when Gary got in the car, and he was excited to see his daddy. But then he fell asleep. Once we got home and tried to put the kids in bed, Trey screamed when Gary laid in bed with him. He kept screaming hysterically, "I want MOMMY!!!!!". The next morning Trey told Gary, "I didn't want you to sleep with me last night, because I didn't remember you". Such a sad moment for a daddy :( But, he is home now, and we can begin finding "normal" again.


A fun day at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry)

2 comments:

Jenny R said...

I'm glad you like it here! :)

The Davis Family said...

Fall here is one of my favorite times of the year. Til the rain starts, anyway. I do find something very comforting about the sound of rain on the roof while I'm snug inside, though.

Soon, Lindsay, soon Gary will get you a break for an our or two every evening. I hope! Normal will come. As your kids are ready for it, we are available for babysitting/respite too! If you want to go to the grocery... or if you want to just go back home and lock the doors and have silence. Take me up on that soon!

P.s. Will want to get together several times while Brian is traveling. I've NEVER had the girls alone for more than a night before and I'm trying not to panic!