Sunday, October 9, 2011

Traveling Home

It has been an emotional week to say the least. I can't even get into everything that has happened, because there simply is not enough time. And it might make your head spin and your stomach queasy (kind of like me ;)

This week brought more tears than expected. Every play-date, errand, doctor's appointment, day of school, meant the end of something. Trey actually asked at one point, "is everything we do going to be the last time?". I think we must have said that a lot in our efforts to make our children understand what was happening.

We are here in Portland, living out out of a hotel for at least a week (don't ask how it's going! Let's just say I have to make a Target run to buy a magic eraser, which I really hope will remove ink) until everything we own shows up. It is beautiful here (even with the drizzle we have had all day). The grass is lush and green, there are pine trees everywhere, and even all of the shops and restaurants are very clean and well maintained. The kids have been begging all day to ride one of the trains to downtown, and I think we will do that tomorrow, but I know they are going to love having a train system (every little boys dream)!

As for how two long flights went with 4 kids, because I know you are all dying to know, it was great. We could not have expected anything more from our kids. Luke was a little restless due to lack of sleep, but other than that we had minimal tears, no whining (a complete miracle), and lots of cooperation from everyone. Thanks to those who prayed for us (and I know you did, because this kind of travel would have been impossible without prayers).

Here are some pictures from our adventures this week.




One lady packed our whole house in a day, and Trey really enjoyed helping out :)

I've never seen my closet so clean!

There is our whole house, loaded into a truck.

This just fascinated me, so I had to take a picture. I've never watched cars being loaded onto a semi before. Apparently, they typically load them on top of each other, but since we have a van there wasn't enough room so they had to go one behind the other, leaving the driver no more room on his truck for the other load he was supposed to pick up.

It's very surreal watching the entire contents of your home along with your cars drive off down the street in a giant truck.


Sitting one last time in our empty house. They all have on their "Oregon" shirts :)

Our luggage...

4 massive car seats, a double stroller, 3 checked bags, and 3 carry-ons

being silly on the plane

And, we're off...



Trey LOVING the train :)


Just a few Oregon "Fun Facts":

  • It's pronounced "Ore-gEn" NOT "Ore-gOn"
  • It is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon
  • Oregon is the only state to have a 2-sided flag
  • The hazelnut is the state nut (and I'm pretty sure it's the only state to have a state nut)
  • There is a coffee shop on every corner
  • And it does in fact drizzle a lot

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I think I am going to cry.

I'm glad you made it and will be praying that everything goes smoothly while you get used to it there.

Jenny R said...

Yay! I'm so excited and glad you made it safely! Be careful on the max.. Not always safe. I really hope we can meet you soon. Maybe if there's a not too wet day we could meet at the zoo or a park or something. Welcome to Portland!

Ms. Suzie said...

The pecan is the state nut for Alabama. We are missing Trey at PLC. After reading your blog, I updated the class on Trey's 'big move'. We even took out the map of the USA to see where Portland, Oregon is. They enjoyed the story of the van being loaded onto the moving van. The class has been praying for Trey and his family. Love to you all from Ms. Suzie's class.

The Davis Family said...

Welcome to the northwest! Kids do love the rain!!! It's us mommy's cleaning up the mud who object. ;-)

Barki's said...

that picture of trey.... he's so OLD!! glad you made it safely. i can't believe trey and brandon missed each other in vegas by 45 minutes. brian said when they landed, brandon looked out the window and said "what IS this?" brian said it was Las Vegas, and it was the desert. Brandon said, "I LOVE Vegas!" uh oh. glad trey got his dream home.