Thursday, September 16, 2010

My overflowing heart!

My heart is so full of joy and warmth at this moment. Children have a way of doing that to you, especially when you least expect it.

Trey has become much more vocal about his feelings lately. While this can sometimes get him into trouble, we have been having more serious and adult-like conversations lately. This all began when we were in Michigan. After a few days away from home he began crying one night about something. I knew that whatever his complaint was, it was not the real issue. After talking for awhile, he said, "I just miss my home". Since then he has been more open about what he feels. We have been praying lately for poor little Sasha (stuck in an Eastern Europe orphanage and facing institutionalization soon). We prayed for him during morning prayers, and when I brought him up again during bedtime prayers Trey said, "Mom, you don't have to pray for him all the time". I reminded him that we pray for other people regularly, and I began to explain a little bit of Sasha's situation. I explained that Sasha is sick. I told him that we are fortunate enough to live in the U.S. where sick people are cared for properly, but in the country where Sasha lives that is not really the case. Trey looked at me, threw his hands up and said, "but that's not fair!" I don't think I have ever been more proud of him in his life. He has also been saying, "I love my little brother" a lot lately. And after a surprise (and very quick) visit from my dad, he gave me the saddest face and said, "I'm going to miss Grandpa when he goes back to Afghanistan."


Trey has been wanting to build this arch for months, and we finally had enough help to do it...thanks Daddy and Aunt Melina!

Grandpa was so tired from his long trip, he fell asleep in the floor of the playroom :)

Of course, a visit with Gramps wouldn't be complete without a trip to Bass Pro Shop.


Learning how to arm wrestle.

And little Luke is not so little anymore. We have had countless comments on his rapid transformation from "baby Luke" to little boy. He tests his boundaries constantly, but is quick to apologize and give kisses. His rambunctious personality warrants bumps, bruises, and scrapes on a daily basis. He runs to me after one of his many encounters with the ground and says, "dis it...dis it" (kiss it), and upon receiving his "dis" he is back on his way to find adventure, excitement, and usually trouble :) He wakes up every morning asking for daddy, doesn't want to sit at the table or on the couch without mommy, and refuses to play without "Beans". Even though he is growing so quickly, I have been able to savor a few more moments with him in my arms like a baby. He recently had a stomach bug, which in turn resulted in a diaper rash. Because his little bum became so raw, it was more comfortable for me to hold him like you might cradle an infant in your arms. He has let me continue this even though the rash is gone. At nap time he will fall asleep in my arms like that. It is the sweetest thing from a little boy who rarely stops moving.

No more baby :(

Sea Horse racing with Aunt Me


Every round of "this little piggy" earns a chorus of "more!" from Luke.


How could I not be thankful?

No comments: